To investigate how IT can support democracy and strengthen the position of a citizen. To investigate the associated security and privacy problems and to look for their effective and efficient solutions.
The contact for this research project is here.
e-Democracy involves investigating how IT technologies can support democratic practices and if and how they can become enablers of new practices by employing new information technologies.
Application of new information and communication technologies can bring the society closer to the democracy ideal by empowering an ordinary citizen with mechanisms which give him/her more control over his/her representatives in democratic institutions.
The approach includes the following components:
- Identifying new problems where e-Democracy solutions can bring improvements. In particular, seeking the ways to increase the control of an ordinary voter over their representatives in democratic institutions.
- Developing experimental IT based solutions which bring value to those problems.
- Analyzing risks associated with those solutions.
- Exploring possible ways of managing those risks.
- Validating proposed solutions.
- Generalizing and packaging the results.
- The project started in 2004.
- In 2004 a prototype e-Democracy system supporting monitoring the behaviour of Members of the Parliament has been designed and implemented.
- In 2008 the system has been extended with a module enabling (semi)automatic download of the data exported from the Polish Parliament (Sejm).
- The planned extension: improvement of the user interface to support different categories of users (ordinary citizens, journalists, politicians, ...).
The system supporting monitoring the behaviour of Members of the Parliament is available under: www.edemokracja.pl
- Hoffman P.: Design and implementation of a mechanism supporting automatic data update in the Parliament Monitoring System, M.Sc. Thesis, Supervised by prof. J. Gorski, Department of Software Engineering, Gdansk University of Technology, 2008 (in Polish)
- Kaminski M.: System monitorowania prac organów przedstawicielskich - doświadczenie z zakresu e-demokracji
, Proceedings of 2nd National Conference on Information Technologies, p. 35-42 (in Polish)
- Kaminski M.: A system for monitoring the behaviour of Members of Parliament, M.Sc. Thesis, Supervised by prof. J. Gorski, Department of Software Engineering, Gdansk University of Technology, 2004 (in Polish)